Thursday 23 October 2008

THE FABRIC RESEARCH AND CHARACRTER DESIGN

CHARACTER DESIGN


After an extensive research ( tenderness and beauty of japanese girls in Mulan, sculptures and portraits of French orientalism, puppets and Geisha culture, where I was specially interested in make up, behaviour and clothing, stylist illustration of Dave Mc Kean, Slovenian artists like Rudi Skocirand Gabrijel Stupica's arte brutta portraits of his beloved daughter expressing childis purity and innocence.Jared also advised me to see Japanese Butoh Dance, a traditionally "performed" in white-body makeup with slow hyper-controlled motion.) All these inspired me and so I did a few versions of the character, which varied from very stylist cartoon illustration to more naturalistic approach. I actually draw Sadako full body size as I wanted to get the real feel of the character, compare it to the corpulenceof my body size and proportions(she was 135 cm tall and had only 35 kg). This helped me to define the general look of the character and its animation.

She was drawn nude as it is easier for me to define bone strcture and complexion, contour and how far I can reach in abstraction of the shape.






Research:
























No comments: